But there are already vultures looking to pick at the bones of today's horror, seeking to "score points" off these events. (They disgust me, too.)
1. This was NOT a "tragedy" -- it was an act of unspeakable EVIL perpetrated by evil-DOERS.
2. Evil EXISTS. Evil has always existed in this world (at least since the snake in the Garden of Eden). We must each come to terms with that FACT; until we do, we are powerless to fight the evil that does exist (and which seeks any avenue to destroy; from the subtle to the grotesque).
3. Evil uses ANY tool it finds to carry out heinous acts. Airliners. Cars. Knives. Fireplace pokers. Fists. Guns, too. Removing one tool merely means another tool will be chosen for use. (There were 23 people knifed in a school in China today, too -- should we expect calls to ban kitchen implements as well?)
4. Schools are "gun-free" zones. The evildoers PAID ATTENTION TO THIS. They KNEW no one at the school would be able to stop them. The proper term for "gun-free zone" is actually "Open Season" -- tantamount to putting up a neon sign saying "WE ARE DEFENSELESS HERE: all attacks WILL succeed."
5. Good people MUST have the tools to protect themselves (and those whose charge they have) from evil and evildoers. As was said by the current occupant of the White House, "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight." One teacher, properly armed, could have saved many lives today.